November 23, 2011

Thanksgiving menu

We are hosting Thanksgiving this weekend.  I'm really fortunate to have brothers-in-law who like to cook, who don't yet have kids of their own and are very fun and hands-on with my boys.  All this definitely helps when you are trying to prepare for a huge meal!

My brothers-in-law and future sister-in-law have recently (like, four days ago!) decided to take steps towards becoming vegan after seeing this documentary.  Being that we are a dairy-free household and I'm a vegetable proponent myself, I can roll with that!  Aside from the roasted turkey which my brother-in-law already purchased pre-enlightenment, below is what's on our menu.  It's dairy-free and nut-free.  Most of it can be made wheat-free by using gluten-free alternatives where bread or flour is called for.  (Sorry, no easy substitutions for Pillsbury Crescent Rolls.)

Cranberry Avocado Salsa
Butternut Squash Soup
Mashed Potatoes 
Roasted Yams (Nothing fancy in my house -- just bake until soft and serve!)
Stacy M. Polcyn's Sausage, Apple and Cranberry Stuffing (We're omitting the sausage and subbing vegan margarine in place of butter.  I like to bake this outside the bird as a separate dish.)
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Lentil Kale Stir-Fry
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls (Check out Sarah's ideas for add-ins)
Apple Cranberry Crisp
Pumpkin ice cream
Pumpkin Pie
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (I subbed in some gluten-free flour blend and xanthan gum to make these GF)

The cookies and pumpkin pie ice cream have already been made and they keep well.  The salsa can be made the day before and the pumpkin pie should definitely be made a day in advance so that the filling can set in the refrigerator.  Definitely piggyback those oven dishes!  Bake the potatoes while you're roasting your butternut squash.  Leave the potatoes in the oven when you trade out your finished squash for the yams and stuffing.  Bake the crisp while the rest of dinner is served.

The day after our big meal we'll probably do some easy group cooking by making potstickers together, subbing in mashed firm tofu in place of the meat...unless we have a whole lot of leftovers!

I'm thankful for my happy little boys!
Have a safe and warm Thanksgiving with your loved ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment