May 30, 2011

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies--Egg, Dairy, Nut, Peanut-Free

(I wrote this a few weeks ago...have just gotten around to posting!)

I need a spa day.  I'm not complaining, I'm just stating a fact. 

Tristan had his dance recital today which was the most adorable thing I've ever seen.  But after some long nights sewing dance recital costumes and props, and then a mad morning baking 6 dozen cookies for the bake sale, I'm now officially in recovery mode. 

My little prince!
Which probably means I should be in bed right now, but it looks like Addi might be skipping a much needed nap after being mesmerized by dance after dance...after dance.  And now...Addison starring in her own concert singing a medley direct from her crib! 

Anyway, I wanted to share my recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookies before I lost steam.  I added recipe cards to each bag of cookies so that people could read the ingredients and could use or pass along the recipe.  Not sure what people thought of that but I'm sure the words "dairy, egg, nut free" scared some people away. 

I am going to now profess my love for these cookies.  If you like oatmeal chocolate chip, please give them a try.  You won't be disappointed.  I like that the oatmeal adds a bit of texture and makes it a little less sweet (which to me just means you can eat more in one sitting!).

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Dairy, Egg, Nut Free) Contains: Soy, Wheat

Ingredients:
1 c. vegan margarine (like Earth Balance)             
½ c. sugar                                                                
1 tsp. vanilla extract  
½ tsp. baking soda                                                     
1 ¼ c. flour                                                           
1 tsp. baking powder, 1 T. vinegar (I use balsamic), & 1 T. water, mixed together
1 c. chocolate chips (TJ’s semisweet or Ghiradelli semi-sweet chips) *
1 c. oats (I use Regular Quaker Oats) *

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Yes, those are actual tears running down her face.  There were three kids, one bowl, a cranky toddler... :(
  3. Cream together margarine & sugar.   
  4. Add vanilla, baking soda, flour, and baking powder mixture.  Mix well.
  5. Stir in oats.  Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Drop by rounded teaspoon onto parchment-lined or silpat-lined pan.  Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until golden.

Makes about 3 dozen cookies.


* You could play around with these amounts.  I've used as little as 1/2 c. chocolate chips and 3/4 c. oats.  I guess it depends how chocolately and oatey you like your cookies.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sarah! These are amazing crispy cookies. So easy and so addictive.

    To go gluten-free, be sure to use certified gluten-free oats and your favorite GF flour substitute plus a 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum for flour. I like to use the 3 parts brown rice flour, 1 part potato starch, and 1/2 part tapioca starch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I used this recipe on our Tahoe trip. I had to improvise with Spectrum shortening, whole wheat flour, and chopped Tj's dark chocolate bars. Not as delicate and heavenly as yours, but the relatives loved them still!

    ReplyDelete