June 1, 2011

Gluten-Free Play Dough

My kids love play dough.  I can't say that I'm much of a fan.  I usually find traces of the stuff around the house days later.  I have found that using a cookie tray or jelly roll pan keeps the mess off the floors.  Or I just have them do it outside.  Here's an easy recipe for gluten-free play dough.  It's simple to make and not stinky or expensive like the brand name stuff.

You'll need:
1/2 C rice flour
1/2 C cornstarch
1/2 C salt
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 C water
1 tsp oil
Food coloring (I used gel food coloring)




Mix the ingredients together.  Cook and stir on low heat for about 3 minutes or until it starts to come together in a ball.  Once it starts to firm up, the process is super quick, so be ready.



Let cool slightly before mixing in dough.  I split this dough into 4 equal parts, and then mixed in four colors.  Lay some plastic wrap on our counter.  This will keep the food coloring from staining your counter and makes cleanup a breeze.  I also wore disposable gloves to keep my hands clean.  Apply a few drops of food coloring to the dough and carefully knead.  If you need more color, add a few more drops and continue until you've got the desired color.  Repeat for the other 3 pcs with different colors.







Notice the cookie sheet?

B making "pizza"

No comments:

Post a Comment