June 20, 2011

Mango Salsa


I remember hovering over a huge bowl of mango salsa last Christmas.  The salsa, which was made by my cousin-in-law, Candice, was addictive.  It especially hit the spot on that wintry Maryland night and the entire bowl was quickly gobbled up by aunts, uncles, and cousins as we waited for dinner.

With summer here and mangoes selling for 37 cents at our local market, I thought of that yummy salsa and decided to make it myself.  I used a highly rated recipe from AllRecipes.com with a couple of minor changes.  My husband and Ryken loved it!  Sadly, veggie-averse Callan wouldn't touch the stuff even though I doubled the mango to entice him.  I guess I'll have to set aside some plain old chopped mangoes next time.

The recipe below made probably 3 or 4 cups of salsa.  (Seriously, it was big.)  The amount of each ingredient is somewhat flexible so feel free to add a little more here and there to get the flavor to your liking.  Eat the salsa with tortilla chips and you'll have the perfect contrasts of salty, sweet, & sour and creamy & crunchy.

Mango Salsa
Adapted from FHIVESHOT's Avocado, Tomato, and Mango Salsa on AllRecipes.com

2 ripe mangoes, diced
1 avocado, diced
2 to 4 medium tomatoes, diced (I like less tomatoes in my salsa)
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp olive oil
Juice of one lime
3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 tsp bottled minced garlic
1 tsp salt
  1. Gently combine all ingredients.  Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (overnight is fine) to allow flavors to mix together.
  2. Serve with tortilla chips or on the side of your favorite Mexican dish.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment