|Chocolate dipped pretzels are almost as easy to make as they are to eat.|
12 oz. bag of dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips (For soy-free, use Enjoy Life semisweet chips)
3 Tbsp vegetable shortening (Use Spectrum Organic Shortening if you need a soy-free shortening.)
Decorations such as sprinkles, non-pareils, cocoa, or crushed bits of candy canes
- Line jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Open shakers of decorations or prepare small bowls with decorations and spoons.
- Set 1/4 cup of chocolate chips aside. Cook remaining chips and shortening in a double boiler over low heat. If you don't use a double boiler, put the chips and shortening in a glass bowl that sits in a pot of an inch or two of water, being careful that no water will bubble into the bowl. You can also microwave the chips and shortening for about 2 minutes, checking and stirring the chips every 30 seconds to prevent burning or seizing.
- Stir chips and shortening frequently over low heat until the mixture starts to melt. Stir until there are almost no lumps remaining in the bowl. Then turn off heat and add in remaining 1/4 cup of chips. Stir until melted and smooth.
- If coating is too thick, melt in more shortening. If it's too thin, melt in more chips.
- Dip foods one by one into chocolate mixture.
- Place dipped items on a parchment-lined pan. Drizzle non-pareils, sprinkles, crushed candies or whatever your decoration of choice.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes or until chocolate is completely hardened. Store in an airtight container in a cool place.
|Tortilla rounds look lovely after dipping.|
|Not too lovely for devouring!|
You can also drizzle the melted chocolate over snack foods. This works well with popcorn. Again, refrigerate until chocolate is hardened. Break the popcorn into small pieces and store airtight in a cool place.
Enjoy making these treats and try to save some for your intended recipients!