September 9, 2011

In an Allergy-Safe Galaxy, Far Far Away... (or maybe not as far as you might think)

Yes, Tristan is a huge Star Wars fan.  I'm sure there's a word for people like him but not being one of them, I don't know what that is.  He calls himself a Jedi Master so maybe it's something like that.

For his birthday, Tristan invited a bunch of friends to a private screening of Star Wars at a local theater.  The ticket came with popcorn and a drink (which ended up being water because a 10 am soda was just wrong in so many ways), and then I baked ten dozen dairy/egg/nut-free chocolate chip cookies to share.


I actually didn't even anticipate that Tristan and some other dairy-allergic children would be able to partake in the movie theater popcorn, but then again I hadn't seen a movie in so long, I couldn't tell you the title of a single movie that's been released in the last 12 months, let alone what's in the popcorn.  But alas, just canola oil and a sprinkle of salt in this theater's popcorn.  Yay!  I was so excited about Tristan's first time eating movie theater popcorn, I almost forgot all about the movie.

Anyhow, I just wanted to post this idea for others because not only was it allergy-friendly and tons of fun, it was SO easy for me.  And with so much on my plate lately, I was thankful for it. 

If you're interested in this potentially allergy-friendly movie theater party idea, a few tips:
1. Hit up your local theater first to see if they'll accomodate you.  Our local theater has been around for decades, they're family-owned, and was happy to help us make arrangements.
2. Plan for a pretty early party: they scheduled us before the matinee so that no one else would be in the theater.  Perfect for a bunch of noisy kids, but next time, I'm bringing the coffee!
3. Ask and ask again about what's in the popcorn: what oil they use to pop it in, and what they add to it.  The fact is, most of the buttery toppings that are added to movie theater popcorn actually have no dairy--it's all artificial butter flavor.  But please double check.




So many thank you's to Four Star Theater for making Tristan's favorite movie come alive on the big screen!  We love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment