Yes, making a strawberry dessert at 9 am and feeding it to the kids for a 10 am snack might have something to do with that very lovely compliment.
Anyhoo, we had this at an Easter party at a friend's house (thanks Hanh!), and Addison essentially licked her bowl clean. Tristan couldn't try it that day because it was made with real butter, so I decided to give it a go at home.
So easy! I might decrease the sugar and butter if you're watching, well, your health...but this was basically what Hanh told me to do:
Warm Strawberry Crisp (Egg, Dairy, Nut, Peanut free) Contains: wheat, soy
1-1/2 cup flour (can also do 1/2 c. oats, and 1 c. flour)
1 cup brown sugar (I used regular sugar because I didn't have the brown and it was fine)
2 sticks (1 cup) vegan butter or margarine (I used Earth Balance buttery sticks)
- Preheat oven at 350. Take a bit of the butter or margarine and grease the pan lightly.
- Wash and slice strawberries and place in pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients together until crumbly.
- Pop into the oven for about 50 minutes or until the topping is browned (if you know me, my oven is on the weaker side). I upped the oven to 450 after 40 minutes so the crumbly mixture would brown more (or broiler would be good--just keep a close eye on it).
- It'll be piping hot so wait for it to cool, or if you're like us and can't wait, scoop it into bowls so it'll cool faster.
|We brought home two big buckets full of olallieberries, and some strawberries, too.|
|Tristan was an intense berry picker.|
|Logan was very selective.|
|Addison wasn't much of a berry picker, but she knew how to look the part!|