July 13, 2011

Restaurant review: Sprinkles Vegan Red Velvet Cupcakes

This isn't so much a restaurant review as it is a review of a single bakery item.  This is solely about a vegan red velvet (VRV) cupcake, the one and only milk-free/egg-free/nut-free option offered by Sprinkles Cupcakes.

From the race car fondant to the moist cake, Sprinkles vegan cupcakes were a hit!
Sprinkles is a national bakery that has been all the rage of cupcake aficionados for the past several years.  Originating in Beverly Hills, the bakery has helped reinvent cupcakes into a highly sought-after, elegant treat.  Sprinkles' popularity is steadily growing with shops opening in major cities across the country.

I tried Sprinkles cupcakes once at a baby shower and I remember thinking, "Yummy...but I'm sure I won't be eating these in my future." By that time, I was already aware of Ryken's milk and nut allergies and just couldn't eat anything with the stuff because I would feel so guilty.  Flash forward six months later and, lo and behold, I was wrong about Sprinkles!  They introduced their vegan red velvet (VRV) cupcake in early 2010.

For the past two years Ryken has been gifted a dozen Sprinkles VRV cupcakes for his birthday by a very generous, honorary "auntie".  (Non-related aunties and uncles are pretty common in Chinese culture.)  Out of the company's two dozen regular offerings, the VRV is the only flavor that my milk-allergic, nut-allergic kids can eat.  But, boy, is it d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
My kids were particularly fond of the rich vegan frosting.

Sprinkles' VRV cupcake was super moist with just a hint of cocoa.  Made with soy-based cream cheese, powdered sugar and coconut oil, the half-inch thick layer of frosting was rich and sweet.   Overall, the VRV is a decadent monster of a cupcake.  I immediately felt like I gained a pound from eating it...but that didn't stop me from digging into another the next day.

Sprinkles also offers a gluten-free red velvet cupcake.  Whether they offer a gluten-free, dairy-free red velvet cupcake, I do not know but it's worth it to ask if you are GFCF!  Whether you visit a store or order online, make sure you talk to a live person to discuss your food allergies to ensure your cupcakes are handled with the utmost of care to avoid cross-contamination.

You can pre-order cupcakes online for in-store pickup or delivery.  For the week of July 11-15, the company is offering a special Buy 2 dozen, Get 1 dozen free promotion for delivery orders.  We live about an hour out from our nearest Sprinkles location but they were still able to deliver to us.  I'm sure there was a delivery charge but since this was a gift I don't know what it was. 

You can also keep up with Sprinkles' current promotions by becoming a Facebook fan of your nearest Sprinkles or the company's main Facebook page.  Cupcakes for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment