Want some more egg-decorating fun without the threat of an allergic reaction? How about dressing up some egg-shaped food. Here's a meal suggestion for an "egg" tostada bar. No eggy ingredients and it's flexible enough to accommodate for gluten and dairy allergies.
What you will need:
-2 or more Tbsp vegetable oil
-Favorite taco ingredients, which may include:
- Refried beans, warmed (use canned or make from scratch using a simple recipe such as this one for vegetarian refried beans from AllRecipes.com)
- Guacamole (for a simple recipe, check this out in our archives)
- Seasoned meat (I used crumbled 3-grain tempeh cooked with dairy-free taco seasoning, both products of Trader Joe's)
- Cheese of your choice (at Whole Foods we found Daiya shredded vegan cheese)
- Sour cream (we use Tofutti Sour Supreme)
- Shredded lettuce
- Taco sauce, enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven at 400F.
- Cut tortillas into egg shapes. (Scissors or kitchen shears are easiest.)
- Drizzle oil on pan that is lined with aluminum foil. Wipe both sides of each tortilla in oil so that tortillas are completely coated.
- Bake tortillas for 10-15 minutes or until they are lightly brown and crisp. I usually end up flipping ours over around 10 minutes and baking for an extra couple minutes.
|My kids always eat more food when they've helped make it.|
|Callan got some help but was still a happy eater!|