January 4, 2012

New Year's Resolutions for Kids

As moms, it's easy to get overwhelmed by all of our resolutions.  So many things we want to improve on, for ourselves, our families--the list is practically endless.  I thought I'd pick a few things that have been in the back of my mind that would give me a bit more peace of mind (and therefore less stress) on a daily basis.  First, I will focus on keeping the house cleaner (I write this as I look around at the aftermath of the holidays still ever present) second, I promise to read for enjoyment (simple, yet perfect for a little quiet escape time), and third, but most importantly, to have my child's Epipen on me at all times. 

I was talking to a friend of mine about her conversation with her 4-year-old about New Year's resolutions.  For some reason I never really thought about involving the kids in this tradition, but after speaking with her realized it was a great opportunity to talk about goal-setting and what we think about improving for the New Year. 

So at breakfast the other day, I started the conversation and we discussed a few goals we had for each of us.  They ranged from breaking bad habits to watching less TV. 

As a reminder of our goals, I added them to our winter mobile I made with holiday card cut-outs and a twig I picked up on our Tahoe trip.  Some kind of visual reminder is a great way to start follow-up discussions to revisit our goals and what we're doing to achieve them, what help we might need, what challenges we've faced, and of course, to share lots and lots of praise for our efforts. 




Goal setting is a valuable exercise, but remembering all that we do is sometimes even more important.  Cheers to another fantastic year!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Irene,
    I've been reading your blog posts and just now got to the story of how you found out about your son's peanut allergy... I have tears in my eyes and a huge swelling of admiration for what you are doing with this blog to share your story with other families. Big love to everyone at "get allergy wise"! May your 2012 be filled with joy and laughter!

    xoxo,
    Shira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that was Michelle K's story - I forgot to notice the "posted by" at the bottom! Well, I am touched by what ALL you bloggers are doing here!

    xoxo,
    Shira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year, Shira!

    And thanks for your kind words. As you know, I really enjoy your blog and how it encourages reflection, appreciation, and kindness. (GAW readers, check out Minding The Path of Change blog!)

    ReplyDelete