October 27, 2011

Trader Joe's Pumpkin Bread and Muffin Mix: Egg, Dairy, Nut-Free



TJ's has some seasonal products, and their Pumpkin Bread and Muffin Mix is one of them.  When it starts to appear on shelves, I admittedly stock up to ensure our family has pumpkin muffins any time of year.  As pumpkin muffin consumption almost entirely falls in my hands, it's crucial I take advantage of the autumn season and get them while they last.  So the next time you're at our local Trader Joe's, and see a lady frantically filling up her cart with this muffin mix, come up and say "hello."  :)

I love baking mixes that I can actually easily modify to make safe for my kids.  Sometimes, you find an allergy-safe mix that just doesn't turn out right when you add the Ener-g and other substitutions.  It's really hit or miss. 

Which is why I love this mix.  It still turns out deliciously moist and pumpkiny with the egg replacer, without too much of the overbearing spices that pumpkin recipes sometimes serve up to scare away little kids.  And obviously, adding chocolate chips (we use dairy-free Trader Joe's Semisweet Chocolate Chips) to any recipe adds instant appeal in our household.

Just add water, oil, and egg replacer like Ener-g Egg Replacer according to the box, bake, and enjoy! 

By the way, I'm thinking for my next batch I'll top my muffins with a dairy-free cream cheese frosting.  Use a dairy-free margarine like Earth Balance and Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese in place of traditional dairy products. 

No comments:

Post a Comment